Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Alice In Wonderland



I have a bone to pick with Tim Burton and Johnny Depp and It's name is Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. The original turned a classic children's book into a wonderful, whimsical, yet darkly funny cinema classic. That film had enchanting visuals, some wonderful music, and a performance by Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka that was in a word brilliant. He was a mean, cold, arrogant man, played with a charming warmth and wit. A classic performance. And then Tim Burton decided he wanted to remake the story and he almost got it right. It was a visual tour de force. Really something else to look at and it had a number of fun musical numbers, but then they had to go ahead and ruin it with their interpretation of Willy Wonka. All of a sudden a beloved character that used to be played with depth and subtlety and charm, is instead an annoying Micheal Jackson parody, played with all the subtlety of a jackhammer. I get it; he has daddy issues. Want to hit us over the head with it? OK thanks. All of his character traits end up being played in the same annoying obvious way and it really sullied an otherwise well made film for me.

Now Burton and Depp are back, tackling yet another remake of a classic film adopted from a classic children's book. And again it looks like the visuals are out of this world. Magical yet quite a bit frightening and off putting. From the look of it, Alice is now in her late teens or early twenties and that is a very exciting decision. Hopefully this means the film will tackle themes and subjects relevant to the life of a young women, which is a fresh approach as these types of stranger in a fantasy world stories are often metaphors for childhood issues. I can see this being a unique and thrilling tale about a young women finding her voice, her place in the world. The potential for a great movie seems to be here, but I'm worried that Burton will overplay his hand. It seems all too possible to me that Burton will go overboard. Overindulge with the acting and the visuals. Overemphasize the themes he wants to highlight. These are all problems shared by Charlie and The Chocolate Factory. Instead I think he'd be better off using a more underhanded, subtle approach. Letting things work together seamlessly, and seemingly effortlessly. But its not what I'm expecting.

My expectations may be modest but I'm willing to give this one the benefit of the doubt just to check out what are sure to be fun and exciting visuals. As one last final note before I sign off I'd like to this opportunity to recommend what may be my favorite entry in the stranger in a fantasy world genre. The excellent Pan's Labyrinth. It's a frightening but very powerful movie with some of the most unique creature designs in all of cinema.

4 comments:

  1. Depp is one of the most consistently watchable movie stars working at the moment and Burton's work is always interesting, but I would agree that "Charlie" was a misfire for both of them. They have done "Sweeney Todd" since then, which actually managed a good deal of subtle nuance and internal drama in spite of the grease-paint, blood-baths and musical theatricality, so here's hoping they get the balance right again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My big Issue with Depp's portrayal of Sweeny Todd is that I thought he was too attractive for the role. Other than that it was a good performance in a fine movie. It was an interesting interpretation of the story, but in my book inferior to both stage productions I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your thoughts on Depp's Wonka. Almost unwatchable. But for whatever reason I have a better feeling about this. Here's to hoping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really looking forward to Alice In Wonderland. I'm a big fan of both Depp and Burton but I didn't watch Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. From watching the trailer I knoew that it would spoil my thoughts on the original and Willy Wonka seemed really annoying.

    Also, I agree with your thoughts about Pans Labrynth. I found it to be a really strange film but well made. It also didn't have the typical Hollywood ending. This is why I like to watch foreign films as well.

    ReplyDelete